Thursday, December 4, 2008

guest blogger jane's holiday reading list...

In 1825 Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin wrote “Tell me what you eat: I will tell you what you are” (as fans of Iron Chef will know). I extend this aphorism to tell you what I read, and you will quite rightly deduce that I am rather keen on food, and so I take great pleasure in recommending some of my favourite food-related books (with serving suggestions..).
Bon Appetit!
Vile Bodies – Evelyn Waugh. Aristocratic hi-jinks and frivolity. Champagne, oysters, midnight bacon and eggs and a surprising breakfast at 10 Downing St. Not strictly food related, but ever so much fun. Best read with a G & T or a bottle of champagne. Simply too too divine darling.

An Omelette and a Glass of Wine – Elizabeth David. Pure food poetry from the woman who rescued Britain from post –war stodge and introduced the flavours of the Mediterranean. Pair with a glass of wine and some olives.

The Debt to Pleasure – John Lancaster. Deliciously wicked and sinister tale of jealousy, revenge and murder, with recipes to boot. Definitely a Kir Royale.

The Man Who Ate Everything – Jeffrey Steingarten. A seriously dedicated food adventurer, including an experiment cooking French Fries in horse fat. Savour with a glass of Pinot Noir and some real sourdough bread with cultured butter.

Fast Food Nation – Eric Schlosser. Terrifying insight into the fast food industry and where the ingredients come from. Ummm, maybe a carrot and a glass of water.

A Cook’s Tour – Anthony Bourdain. The maverick maestro of world cuisine. Witty and irreverent fare from the man who will try anything once. Cold beer and a cigarette.

Hunger – Terry Durack. How can you resist a book which opens with “I once stole a piece of salami from an ashtray in a Laundromat”? Opinionated, funny, and one of the world’s best food critics. No rules here, so pick your favourite guilty pleasure and enjoy.

3 comments:

PHORM Interiors said...

Hi Susan
Thank you for your comment and kind words. Have a great weekend!
Ian

Anonymous said...

Jane I am hungry hungry after reading your blog. Well done. I am going to have to put some of your suggestions on my endless reading list. Claire

PHORM Interiors said...

Hi Claire.
I know what you mean about being hungry!!!!!!
A big THANKYOU to you, Jane and Kat for holding down the blog while Steven and I finish off for the holidays!
I hope everyone can ease into the holidays with some good holiday reading.
Me...I'm not sure where to start...
I really have to limit my already overflowing luggage!